Re: summary of software licenses in non-free

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:11:50AM +0300, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> 13-Jan-04 14:52 Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I personally[1] would maintain that a requirement to change a filename
> > is an unacceptable restriction on one's freedom to modify the work.  The
> > LaTeX Project no longer appears to be interested in contending this
> > issue, and I know of no other copyright holder of software packaged by
> > the Debian Project who does.
>
> Even if situation with TeX, Metafont and Computer Modern fonts is
> moot, I think there are other examples from the TeX world with a
> requirement to change a filename. First, other files by Knuth:
>
>   plain.tex
>
> % This is the plain TeX format that's described in The TeXbook.
> % N.B.: A version number is defined at the very end of this file;
> %       please change that number whenever the file is modified!
> % And don't modify the file unless you change its name:
> %       Everybody's "plain.tex" file should be the same, worldwide.
>
> % Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as long
> % as this file is not modified. Modifications are permitted, but only if
> % the resulting file is not named plain.tex.
>
>   hyphen.tex
>
> % The Plain TeX hyphenation tables [NOT TO BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY!]
> % Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as long
> % as this file is not modified. Modifications are permitted, but only if
> % the resulting file is not named hyphen.tex.
>
> Second, files by AMS (amslatex and amstex). Typical comment from
> their file:
>
> %%%   copyright = "Copyright 1995, 2000 American Mathematical Society,
> %%%                all rights reserved.  Copying of this file is
> %%%                authorized only if either:
> %%%                (1) you make absolutely no changes to your copy,
> %%%                including name; OR
> %%%                (2) if you do make changes, you first rename it
> %%%                to some other name.",
>
> (Quotes are taken from files on CTAN.)

Thanks for the information, but this came up during the LaTeX Project
Public License discussions.

I maintain my position.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The Bible is probably the most
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       genocidal book ever written.