Re: latex2html license: "A Letter to Leeds University", round 2

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 10:42:18PM +0100, Roland Stigge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks Matt, for polishing my first draft of the letter[1]. I
> incorporated your changes, made the wording "University of Leeds" more
> consistent and changed "Debian GNU/Linux" back to "Debian" (IMO the
> project name is "Debian", while "Debian GNU/Linux" is a product).
>
> I will submit the attached version to the latex2html mailing list[2] to
> make sure the maintainer and the original author basically agree.
>
> Then, I will send the letter together with copies of the current
> latex2html license and the GPLv2 to the University of Leeds.

If it's not too late, I have a suggestion.

Change:

Changing the license terms to would allow the program to return to our
main distribution and facilitate the already large user base of
LaTeX2HTML.

Changing the license terms to would allow the program to return to our
main distribution and potentially further expand the already large user
base of LaTeX2HTML.

"facilitate" is not the correct term.  Also, I am not sure that a
copyright "vests" in a work.  It may do many things, but I am not sure
that "vesting" is one of them.  OTOH, after dict(1)ing, I could be
wrong.

I finally suggest that the wording of these sorts of letters be
discussed in plain text, and their near-final form reached before
rendering them in TeX format.  It's much easier to discuss plain text on
a mailing list.  Nevertheless you get style points for using LaTeX
to write a relicensing request letter to the copyright holders of
LaTeX-related software.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I don't care if it has a GUI, or
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     command line, or is carved in mud