Re: mplayer licenses

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:49:27PM +0200, A Mennucc1 wrote:

> first of all, thanks a lot for the careful reading
>
> I will incorporate all change that you mention
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:03:56AM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> > ***** Could you rewrite this paragraph in a way that is less disparaging
> > of your fellow developers:
>
> ops
>
> sorry I didn't mean the following to be in any way disparaging
>
> > ``I personally want to trust that a piece of code stating "GPL" or
> > "LGPL" is indeed DFSG complaint; if mantainers were so paranoids as to

It's not paranoia anyway.

We start from a default position of trusting that upstream developers
comply with copyright law.

The upstream developers for mplayer have, several times, stated that
mplayer was licensed entirely under the GPL, when it simply was not,
and they had clearly not even tried to check.

It doesn't matter whether this was intentional or just inept -
continuing to trust their word on the matter would be foolish.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |