Re: migrating away from the FDL

 --- Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:18:32AM +0100, J.D. Hood wrote:
> > That is not surprising, given that Debian, unlike the FSF, is not a
> > monarchy.
>
> ITYM "autocracy".
>
> A monarchy is an autocracy where (under normal circumstances) the
> monarch inherits their role, usually by blood relation or marriage.

The word 'monarchy' does not have to connote hereditary power.  The
Concise Oxford defines the word as meaning 'a supreme ruler'.  It
derives from Greek words meaning 'to rule' and 'alone'.  Historically,
not all monarchies were hereditary; some were even elected.

RMS is the philosopher king of the Free Software Foundation.  Whether
he is also autocratic, that is, "a dictatorial ruler", I don't know
because I am not a member of the FSF.

Cheers
--
Thomas