Re: migrating away from the FDL

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 06:26:17PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> No, this is not a mail about large-scale bugs I intend to file about
> packages using the FDL. It's about 'how do I relicense stuff in non-FDL
> licenses'.
>
> In the past few years, I wrote some manpages and one larger document
> which I all licensed under the FDL. Although I did not read the FDL's
> text at the time, due to the fuzz I heard being made about the FDL I
> recently did so, and although I do not agree with all the arguments I've
> seen in this mailinglist's archives, I certainly do agree with some of
> them. As a result, I want to relicense all my FDL-licensed documents
> under another license (GPLv2).
>
> My question is: what's the right way to do this? If all contributors
> agree, can I just drop the FDL from my 'legalese' paragraphs, replacing
> it with a reference to the GPL, or do I have to mention the fact that
> previous versions were licensed under the FDL? Do I have to wait for a
> new update of those documents, or can I just go ahead and change the
> license without changing the licensed text?
>
> Any insights would be appreciated.

Seen this?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200307/msg00052.html

That's as bulletproof as I could make it. It should suffice in any
reasonable jurisdiction.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK