Re: GFDL and man pages

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
>>
>> > You can make a manpage, but you must
>> > have to include inside the manpage
>>
>> Actually, it's sufficient to refer to this information in the SEE ALSO
>> section of the manpage, so that elaborateness of the GFDL doesn't
>> interfere with the intendend use of the manpage for quick reference.
>>
>> > Note that this all has to be _in_ the manpage.
>>
>> The FSF has a different view on this matter.
>
> The FSF doesn't read its own license.  Section 4 states:
>
>   In addition, you must do these things in the Modified Version:

>     # H. Include an unaltered copy of this License.
>
> That looks pretty clear to me.

It would be clear, if this were the GNU Free Manpage License.  The FSF
makes a claim I know I've heard here before: that there is no
one-to-one mapping from files to works.  They'd presumably
consider all the manpages in the csound package to be a single work,
and have each refer to a central gfdl(8) page.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/