Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003, at 13:30 US/Eastern, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

Do you mean by that that if I use an editor that does not have a
save format that losslessly reproduces all of its internal state,
then I can only distribute the output under the GPL if I also ship a
revivable core dump of the editor?

Is there such an editor?

gvim is one example. It doesn't save (in the file) such things as command-line history, cursor position, hilite state, last search, window size and position, numerous option settings, etc. Many of those --- especially the command line history --- can be quite useful.

I imagine emacs, being bloated, has far more.