Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:
> >> I know of one thorny problem in this area: many graphics are distributed
> >> as .png or .jpg files, even though their creator probably used a richer
> >> format like .xcf.
> Thomas Bushnell wrote:
> > Is it not obvious that the preferred form is .xcf?
>
> I think it is obvious because we do prefer the informationally
> richer format.  My suggestion is that this be made explicit.

Suppose in one case we prefer format X, but the informationally richer
format happens to be Y.  In this case, shouldn't we preserve the one
we prefer?

Either your standard will be the same as the current one, or it will
be different.  If it's the same, then no advantage inheres from
adopting it.  If it's different, then you need to explain why it's
better.

> The focus on human preferences tends to end up either in subjective
> assessments or in speculation about what other people prefer.
> Should these questions be settled by conducting surveys?

No; in general courts apply things like the reasonable man test.
Remember, we are talking about a legal document here, not a network
protocol.  The ability to be responsive to subjective assessments is
precisely why the current language is excellent.

Thomas