Re: A single unified license

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> I intend to make the effort some day, but first I have to finish GPL
> version 3, which faces other difficult questions.

I have recently come to the conclusion that making a unified license
is the only reasonable course left.  There was much talk on this list
last year about a Debian Free Content License, which could be
converted into the GPL.  However, the conversion has to happen both
ways, which basically makes them the same license.

The GPL is already being used for documentation.  I think legitimizing
and encouraging that use should be a high priority for version 3.  It
is a fairly simple exercise to change "program" to "work".  As you
noted, one problem is to figure out how to regulate copying so that
people can print books without onerous conditions.  One possible
solution is to add to GPL section 3) a fourth method for compliance

    d) Accompany it with information as to how to obtain, for a charge
    no more than the cost of physically performing source
    distribution, corresponding source. (This alternative is allowed
    only for noncommercial distribution)

This is only meant as a suggestion.  It weakens copyleft a little, but
it does legitimize informal sharing.

You, of course, have your own priorities.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu