Re: Open Software License

On Monday 02 June 2003 13:16, Joey Hess wrote:
> This is a new one to me. It's the license of elfutils, which is included
> in rpm 4.2.
>
> 			The Open Software License
> 				v. 1.0

sounds like a fairly straightforward BSD like license with a little more legal
control.  However ....

> License Terms
>
> 1) Grant of Copyright License. Licensor hereby grants You a
> world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, non-sublicenseable
> license to do the following:
>
>   a) to reproduce the Original Work in copies;
>
>   b) to prepare derivative works ("Derivative Works") based upon the
>   Original Work;
>
>   c) to distribute copies of the Original Work and Derivative Works
>   to the public, with the proviso that copies of Original Work or
>   Derivative Works that You distribute shall be licensed under the
>   Open Software License;
>
>   d) to perform the Original Work publicly; and
>
>   e) to display the Original Work publicly.

no where do I see the right to distribute binaries from either the original
work or a derivative one.  You can give me the original, you can give me your
patches, you could even give me a translation but you do not seem to have the
right to give me a .deb of it.  Unless a binary is considered a derivative
work in this license?