Re: popular swirl...

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:18:29PM -0800, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 06:04:01PM -0500, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> > This has come up before.  SPI was asked to look into the trademark
> > violation involved.  IIRC, the proprietor of elektrostore was contacted
> > and dismissed the complaint -- saying there wasn't any proof Debian had
> > come up with the swirl either, and it could come from a font or
> > something -- that maybe Debian and the web designer he paid got it from
> > the same source.
>
> Ignore the trademark issue.

We probably don't have a valid trademark on the swirl anyway; too many
people use swirls. But this one is actually copyright infringement
(unlike, for example, the Sega Dreamcast logo[0] or the Tivola
Publishing[1] logo).

[0] http://mc.pp.se/dc/dc_mark.gif
[1] http://www.tivola.de/Media/MainLogo.gif

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |