I'll contact upstream

reopen 183860
tags 183860 moreinfo
thanks control

I've just send a message to RMS (cc'd to this bug) asking for clarification.

I hope we get as solution soon; however, at the moment, this appears to be quite a valid bug. Using even marginally cautious standard of what constitutes "a work based on [the Program] under Section 2 [of the GPL]", the manuals qualify. Since we distribute them in an object form (info), we must "Accompany [the Program in object code or executable form] with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 [of the GPL] on a medium customarily used for software interchange."

We can not do that because the GFDL is not GPL-compatible.

Since from reading the licenses it is fairly clear that we are violating them, we need clarification on why this is _not_ a bug, not on why it is.

I'm requesting such clarification. Re-opening.

[ cc'd to legal so they may point flaws in my reasoning, if any. Please don't cc control on responses! ]