Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:55:20PM +0000, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>:
>
> > You seem to have already noted this, but I should re-emphasize that
> > since the Tolkien novels are still under copyright, then legally the
> > names from them are just as much risky choices as names from Pratchett
> > are.
>
> Does anyone seriously think that copyright applies to names? I've
> never heard of copyright applying to anything smaller than a haiku.

I don't, but people with copyright protection in a work are more likely
to try to defend their "copyright" in the names.  See TSR/Wizards of the
Coast/Hasbro.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The National Security Agency is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      working on the Fourth Amendment