Re: jabber-yahoo copyright file

On Dec 15, 2003, at 20:15, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

With the recent dicussion about improper package copyright files[1], I
would like to make sure the copyright files for the packages I maintain
are correct.  I've decided to start with jabber-yahoo and have found
that my initial copyright file is indeed lacking, but I'm not entirely
sure how to correct it.  The files in the package are under differing
licenses.  How, should these be listed in the copyright file?

jabber-yahoo
Copyright (C) 2002 Paul Curtis. Portions copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Portions copyright (C) 1995-1999 Cryptography Research, Inc. Portions copyright (C) 1999 Aladdin Enterprises.

Jabber-yahoo is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License...

Portions are released under other, compatible, terms:
**** insert all the stuff you had here. Make sure to put the "copyright (C) year person" line up top of each. The words "all rights reserved" go right after that (if they are there at all). ****

Make sure I got that long list of years and people right, too. Those should probably be in contribution-importance order.

And put in the normal stuff like where to find GPL-2 on Debian systems, where you downloaded the source, etc. And if there is any significant packaging (i.e., you didn't just dh-make) then put a copyright and license notice for that, too.

gaim-sha.c
 * The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public
 * License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file
 * except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of
 * the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

Is MPL 1.1 GPL-compatible?

(snip)
 * The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Paul Kocher of
 * Cryptography Research.  Portions created by Paul Kocher are
 * Copyright (C) 1995-9 by Cryptography Research, Inc.  All
 * Rights Reserved.

This sounds like you don't have permission to use those portions at all...

[1] - http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200312/ msg00188.html [2] - I've chatted with the upstream author and he will be changing this
      to GPL in the next release.

Ugh, somewhere I lost the footnotes...