Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

[I am not subscribed to debian-bsd.]

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:21:30PM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:
> > Feel free to propose alternatives from, say, the origional mythology which
> > spawned the concept of daemons as beings which were not inherently good or
> > evil, then.
>
>   I'll suggest Offler (or Om), Foorgol (I don't like Fate) and, um,
> some other god coming out of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels,
> preferably whose name starts with an N.
>
>   Or something like that.

Mr. Pratchett's attorneys might take exception to that.

Whether they'd have actual grounds (which they probably don't unless
those names have been registered as marks) is another question entirely.
As I understand, copyright can attach to characters, but not names.

A nice trait of my proposal is that the demonological names go back
centuries, and no living person (or their estate) can claim to have
invented them.  That provides us a nice insulator from bullshit[1].

[1] well, legal bullshit anyway, if not fundie bullshit, as Nathan
    Hawkins pointed out -- but such complaints deserve only our
    contempt, IMO

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.