Re: simplest copyleft license for a wiki

Scripsit Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>
> Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org>:

> >    1. You have the right to copy, modify, and/or distribute the work.

> I don't know what "and/or" means, but I find it hard to imagine a
> definition of "and/or" which would make this sentence mean that I have
> clear and explicit permission to distribute modified copies.

Um, what have you been smoking? That is as clear and explicit as it is
possible to make it. "And/or" is a pretty standard way of phrasing an
inclusive or: You have the right to do one. You have the right to do
the other.  You have to the right to do both. If you do both, then,
naturally, what you distribute is the result of the modifications.

Cf. the pine/UW attack which interpreted "right to modify and
distribute" as: You have the right to modify. You have the right to
distribute. You *don't* have the right to do both at once. This is
exactly what the "and/or" wording seeks to defuse.

> >    2. You must grant recipients the same rights.

> Same as what?

Possibly as in clause 1. There's definitely room for improved wording
here.

> I'm not sure that the term "copyleft" is sufficiently well known to be
> used like this.

I agree.

--
Henning Makholm                      "Underlige Ugle vågner midt om natten."