Re: Respect for Upstream Authors and Snippets of Interest

Barak Pearlmutter said:
> The GNU manifesto is in
>Debian right now, right where it belongs: /usr/share/emacs/21.2/etc/GNU
>and analogous locations in emacs20 and xemacs.

And how precisely does it belong there?  That's a stupid, obscure location.

:-)

(OK, perhaps you meant "Whereever upstream puts it is where it belongs".  I
don't really consider that reasonable given the amount of stuff Debian moves
around.)

>If there were a package whose bulk consisted of the GNU manifesto and
>related materials, I think people might have some problems with that.

Not at all.  In fact, I'd be happy to start a package for the non-free
section entitled "rms-essays", or "gnu-political-statements", or whatever --
IF I could clear the licensing problems, which seems like a pain in the neck.
These are all verbatim-copying only, and currently the only
freely-reproducible copies I can find are:
1. The GNU web page copies, which are all in HTML with inappropriate
interreferences to other parts of the GNU website
2. The "Invariant Sections" of manuals, which can't be used (under the GFDL)
for a project like this one.

(OK, so I was deliberately misinterpreting you to make a point -- you meant a
package *in Debian*, I assume.)