Re: What does GFDL do?

    While you are free to state the terms by which the GFDL should be
    interpreted for GNU documentation, this is not always the case. We have
    in the past seen cases where copyright holders have interpreted
    seemingly unambiguous statements in a pathological fashion (see Pine,
    for instance) - in the GFDL case, the wording does not make it clear
    that it is the intention that the license may be bound as a separate
    volume. If this is how you wish the license to be interpreted,
    clarification of the license would be helpful.

I think it is clear that a printed work can consist of multiple
volumes, but clarification might not hurt.  I will think about it.