Re: [OT] Suing for hot coffee

"Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> a tapoté :

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:51:34PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> a tapoté :

> > > What are you talking about?  When coffee comes out of a good coffee
> > > machine, it is near boiling.  Coffee enthusiasts even measure the
> > > temperature to make sure that it is extremely hot [1].  My water
> > > heater for tea is set at 203, and we serve it right away.  McDonalds
> > > was far from unreasonable.
> >
> > Is it really 180° Farenheit... or Celsius? In the first case, sure it
> > does seems so hot.
>
> 180 Celsius is ... quite hot.  Unless you manage to keep it under
> rather excessive pressure, I guess that you will end up with a dry
> coffee mug that is difficult to wash.  And a lot of steam...

If it's 180°C in the coffee machine under some pressure, it can goes
around 99°C at the atmopheric pressure in the served closed cup and
stay at a very high temperature for long, enough to get seriously
burned 5 minutes later.

If it's only 100°C in the coffe machine, it will probably go down
fastly, too fastly to get serious harm after 5 minutes.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org