Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On 2003-09-12 10:28:38 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
because it's out of the scope of
_software_, indeed, unless you pretend that any work on earth is
software).

Mathieu can say this as much as he likes, but it does not make it true. It is not necessary to pretend that all works are software, just to know that all works in Debian are software. What is true, definitely for Debian and probably in general, is that these works on computer are software. Once again, people who disagree with Debian's definition of free software may have to collect some things that they think free from outside Debian: this is not new.

The difference is not in spirit, but semantics: GNU has defined "software" as a synonym for "programs" which seems odd to me and seems to open a can of worms about literate programming, opinion pieces on sources, ktp.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at