Re: GNU/LinEx, Debian, and the GNU FDL

On 2003-09-09, Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi RMS,
>
> On Montag 08 September 2003 18:09, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> While nominally Debian GNU/Linux does not include the non-free
>> software, the non-free software is distributed from the same
>> server. We cannot recommend one without effectively
>> recommending the other. Further, the distribution itself
>> surely contains references to that server, so putting a copy
>> on a different server would not solve the problem.
>
> Then, why don't you just create your own distribution based on
> Debian? Take the official CD set, remove all references to
> non-free, and distribute it from your server. Problem solved.

>From the FSF's point of view, they would have to do considerably more
work than that: they would have to review all the packages in Debian
to make sure that they satisfy their own definition of Free.  The FSF
has offered to audit Debian licenses in the past, but the offer was
declined because Debian would then have to accept the FSF's
definitions, which may or may not agree with the DFSG and the opinions
of debian-legal.

But I'm sure the FSF has considered this option already.

Peace,
	Dylan