Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

* Mathieu Roy (yeupou@gnu.org) [030909 16:05]:
> Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> a tapoté :
> > But: Most of the mails here are not copyright-able at all, and thus
> > have no license status and can be included everywhere and even in
> > main.

> Really? If I send a script in a email without license notice, it makes
> it free software?

You should perhaps try to learn reading mails. I said "most", and said
that on purpose. Trivial things are not copyrightable, and most mails
consist of trivial things. If I e.g. say that you can put a "alias
vi=vim" in your .bashrc, than this is not copyrightable at all, and
you can tell that to everybody without asking me at alle. It's not
"free" (free as used in common language), but it's not copyrightable,
and therefore meets the DFSG criterias, and it's free acording to
Debians standards.

It's nothing specific about mails. However, it's a matter of fact that
mails are quite often trivial, and are quite more often trivial than
e.g. a story. (But I remember a case where a real story on paper was
juged to be too trivial to be copyrighted; that case was in Germany.)

(However, in some states you're not allowed to reveal private
information to the public, but d-l is a public forum and so this rules
doesn't apply here.)

Cheers,
Andi
--