Re: old and new GNU documentation licenses, and the some of the manuals to which they apply

Quoting Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org):

> The "simple license" -- what I have been calling the "traditional GNU
> documentation license", reads as follows:
>
>    Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
>    manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
>    preserved on all copies.
>
>    Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of
>    this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that
>    the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
>    permission notice identical to this one.
>
>    Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
>    manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified
>    versions, except that this permission notice may be stated in a
>    translation approved by the <copyright holder, or an organzation to whom
>    the copyright holder is willing to delegate this function>.

If the point is obvious, my apologies, but:  If sufficiently motivated
people are annoyed by the ongoing conversion of GNU documentation to GFDL,
they may at any time fork the final non-GFDL version and maintain
derivative works (updated manuals) to benefit Debian and others.

--
Cheers,                  "Entia non sunt multiplicanta praeter necessitatem."
Rick Moen                                         -- William of Ockham (attr.)