Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:29:00AM +0200, Claus Färber wrote:
> Brian T. Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> schrieb/wrote:
> > But since Debian distributes only software, and Invariants must be
> > Secondary... actually, isn't the GNU Manifesto non-secondary when
> > distributed as part of Debian GNU/Whatever?
>
> There are even some immutable files in base-files that are obviously
> _not_ secondary but payload:
>
> /usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic
> /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD
> /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2
> /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2
> /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2.1
>
> If you move licence texts to an own package (or a package that includes
> them so that other packages can point to that copy) to save disk space,
> they become non-secondary.

Actually, that's not true.  They're only "payload" to relieve our
packages, our repositories, and our users from the disk consumption that
would result from shipping the applicable license(s) along with each
package.  Please review Debian Policy on this subject.

The final draft of my "interpretive guideline for DFSG 3"[1] was
carefully worded to take this into account.

If it weren't for the restrictions that copyright laws place upon us, we
wouldn't ship these files at all.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200112/msg00250.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that