Re: [was A possible GFDL compromise] documentation eq software ?

On 2003-08-29 14:17:12 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
I'm completely capable to read a book and make a summary, make a
speech about it ... there's no way to forbid that - since I have the
freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

That is not a derived work. You can use proprietary software and describe it, too.

Every scientific book is made of references, bibliographies. You do
not remodify a book someone wrote - that's pointless.

And you do not modify a program someone wrote, either? It's not fundamentally different.

One more time, with feeeeeeeling: I find the position that we would not benefit from a general right to modify, adapt, copy and distribute all sorts of creative work wholly illogical and draws an arbitrary distinction between functional and aesthetic works...

...but that's not relevant to this discussion. Replies off-list, please.