Re: How to get around the GFDL (under UK law, at least)

* Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> [030828 05:12]:
  [...]
> 4. Request the patch from the revision containing the licence change to
>    the HEAD.

>   c. This patch is an *entirely*separate* work to the documentation
>      file(s) it modifies.
   [...]
>    ii. The patch file includes no terms allowing copying,
>        modification, distribution, etc.
>
>   iii. It is, however, perfectly legal to /use/ this patch, either by
>        performing the actions it suggests by hand or with a program
>        such as "patch".
 [...]
> 5. Apply this patch to your documentation file(s).
>
> You now have a copy of the latest upstream documentation under the
> original DFSG-free licence, and entirely legally too.

If your soliticor tells this to you, you may try so (and get him
to pay possible penalties). I'd not recommend this to people not
having their lawyer told so, as I strongly doubt most jurisdictions
will tell the resulting work is under the original licence. (As you
have no licence for the patch, you may use it to generate your own
local version of the documentation, but who allows you to copy,
modify and distribute it?)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.