Re: in-depth information about how piman views publications vs. software vs. documentation

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:50, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-08-28 03:41:47 +0100 Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org> wrote:
> > I use "documentation" in the strictest sense here
> > [...] free publication license. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> "Documentation" is not a subset of "publication" to you?  A new twist
> on an old flamefest.

I never said that.

This is also totally irrelevant to the FDL debate, but, just to clarify:

I consider documentation (at least on a computer) to be a subset of
software. However, I don't consider the GPL a documentation license, but
a software license. The GPL can be applied to documentation, but
non-documentation too, though.

I consider documentation (on a computer) to be a subset of publications
(on a computer). I don't consider the OPL to be documentation license
for the same reason the GPL is not a documentation license. The OPL can
be applied to documentation, but non-documentation too, though (however,
a smaller set of non-documentation than the GPL can).

I consider documentation (on a computer) to be *the* set of
documentation (on a computer). For this reason, I feel the GFDL is a
documentation license. Because of the nature of the GFDL's terms, I
don't feel it can be applied to non-documentation at all; if you try,
most of the clauses stop making sense.

I tend to refer to licenses by the most general category of works I feel
they can consistently license. I also don't refer to any works not on a
computer, because they are completely outside the scope of anything the
Debian project does.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>