Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David B Harris wrote:

>> >If I'm on a shared, multi-user system, I must leave any directories a
>> >GFDL document is in as world-readable; to restrict permissions would be
>> >to use a technical measure to restrict the further reading of the
>> >document.
>>
>> 	Heh. And, according to the same logic, you should not lock
>> the door of your home, because someone may want to copy document
>> from your desktop. Get real!
>>
>> 	GFDL says about _further_ distribution of already received
>> work, not about initial copying you may allow or not allow to
>> someone. But, ever regardless of particular terms of license it is
>> clear from the law, that you can have any obligations only to the
>> _legitimate_ recipient of a copy of work. If someone get a copy by
>> the means, which is illegal itself, without your will, consent and
>> ever awareness, this can't create for you any obligations to him.

>"of the copies you *make or distribute*"

>Emphasis mine. The language is pretty clear.

-----/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL---

  1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
---------------------------------
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any
warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of
this License along with the Program.
<...>

  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any
portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy
                                                             -----
and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section
--------------
1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
    when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
    interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
    announcement including an appropriate copyright notice

--------------------------------------

---/text/dossie/gfdl/fdl.txt----------

You may copy and distribute the Document in any medium, either
commercially or noncommercially, provided that this License, the
copyright notices, and the license notice saying this License
applies to the Document are reproduced in all copies, and that you
add no other conditions whatsoever to those of this License.  You
may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the reading or
further copying of the copies you make or distribute.  However, you
may accept compensation in exchange for copies.  If you distribute a
large enough number of copies you must also follow the conditions in
section 3.

	Is there a such big difference between "copy" and "make
copies"?