Re: Debian logo DFSG-freeness

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Alfie's post reminds me that I need clarification on some point: the
> fact that the Debian logo, which is shipped within many of our packages,
> is not DFSG-free.
> It was already raised:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200111/msg00041.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200209/msg00192.html
> but I don't see any statement on how this should be dealt with.

Assuming we want to preserve the sanctity of the logo, someone would
need to retain legal council, and have them write a cease and desist
to whoever or whatever was using the logo improperly. (My father
typically calls these things nasty-grams, but you get the point.)

If we don't want to bother defending it, then it won't be an exclusive
mark, so our only recourse would be to use copyright law to keep
people from using it. [They could still use a similar logo, but they'd
have to make it from scratch.]

Now, I have no clue how US copyright and trademark law interacts with
Sweden's trademark and copyright law... so a reasonable middle of the
road approach might be to ask them nicely to consider changing their
logo.

Alternatively, we can completely ignore it and decide that their
little site is so pathetic that it isn't worth wasting our time on.
That's not really my call to make.

Don Armstrong

--
N: Why should I believe that?"