Software Freedoms : documentation

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:19:03 -0400, Brian T Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> said:

Hi,

       This is a great start. My admittedly cursory look at the
 archives failed to come up with a list similar to this posted
 earlier, so I apologize if this has all been covered
 innumerable time before.

> * The freedom to read the text, for any purpose.
> * The freedom to study how the text is written, and adapt it to your
>   needs.  Access to the text in the preferred form for modification
>   is a precondition for this.
    This includes the ability to modify the work to fit in low memory
    situations, refernce cards, PDA's,  embedded devices, etc.

  * Freedom to reformat the document into a preferred format or medium
    (converting to braille, or speech, or postscript, etc).

> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your
>   neighbor.

> * The freedom to improve the text, and release your improvements to
>   the public, so that the whole community benefits.  Access to the
>   preferred form for modification is a precondition for this.
    For  program documentation, this implies being able to change the
    documentation to reflect the changes in the program.

  * Freedom to translate the text into any other language (esperanto,
    hindi, icelandic)

> * The freedom to keep your modifications, or even your possession of
>   a copy of the text, confidential.

	manoj

--
"I am astounded ... at the wonderful power you have developed - and
terrified at the thought that so much hideous and bad music may be put