Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Op do 14-08-2003, om 20:41 schreef Anthony DeRobertis:
> On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 13:51 US/Eastern, Fedor Zuev wrote:
>
> > 	Of course, you can claim that the very special definition of
> > "software"
>
> As an aside, I'd like to note that several reputable dictionaries agree
> with the definition of software being the part of the computer that is
> not hardware. So it's not my very own special definition; quite the
> opposite, its a common usage of the word.

There are also several dictionaries that disagree with that definition;
and, more importantly, many people, and even Debian Developers, do so.

Even if we're not going to make that distinction between computer
programs and documentation (which I, personally, think is preferable),
we should at the very least avoid confusion by clarifying the intended
meaning of the word 'software' in the context of the text of the DFSG.

[...]

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a