Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:20:29PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> _MAI Systems v. Peak Computer_ (991 F.2d 511) says otherwise.  To quote
> part: "The district court's grant of a summary judgment on MAI's claims of
> copyright infringement reflects its conclusion that a 'copying' for
> purposes of copyright law occurs when a program is transferred from a
> permanent storage device to a computer's RAM.  This conclusion is
> consistent with its finding, in granting the preliminary injunction, that:
> 'the loading of copyrighted software from a storage medium (hard disk,
> floppy disk, or read only memory) into the memory of a central processing
> unit ("CPU") causes a copy to be made.  In the absence of ownership of the
> copyright or express permission by license, such acts constitute copyright
> infringement.'  We find that this conclusion is supported by the record
> and the law."

Holy shit, I think we may just have seen John Galt's first useful post
to a Debian mailing list _ever_.

Congratulations, second assistant bookkeeper[1]!

[1] If you got that reference, you should consider joining RA[2].
[2] If you got the original reference, should have no trouble figuring
    out what that acronym expands to.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Intellectual property is neither
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      intellectual nor property.