Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 10:23:50PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Sunday, Aug 10, 2003, at 09:01 US/Eastern, Nick Phillips wrote:
> >Or if you come from a country where they speak proper English, "tabled"
> >means something like "proposed for discussion"...
>
> Hmmm, not what my copy of Robert's Rules of Order says. But,
> considering that, I'll try and use alternate phrasings like "delayed"

While I disagree with Nick Phillips's chauvinistic characterization of
non-rhotic dialects of English as the only "proper ones", he makes a
valid point regarding usage.

The SPI Board of Directors, which has both American and British members,
uses the term "shelved" for this purpose, which is unambiguous for
everyone.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_having_different_meanings_in_British_and_American_English

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The basic test of freedom is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    perhaps less in what we are free to