Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

On Thursday, Aug 7, 2003, at 07:01 US/Eastern, Lynn Winebarger wrote:

   Then the intellectually honest approach is to say the guidelines are
for both software and documentation, not to say the set of software contains
the set of documentation.

I can only assume that it was easier for the people on debian-legal (at least) to stretch the definition of software to cover everything they wanted to be free than to get a vote to officially change the guidelines to reflect
the expansion.

I'd like to know more about this "intellectual honesty" that compels the word "software" to include documentation when used in the Social Contract, but not when used a little further down the page[0] in the guidelines.

	Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

	We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely
	free software. As there are many definitions of free software,
	we include the guidelines we use to determine if software is
	"free" below....

[0] http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html