Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Le jeu 07/08/2003 à 23:01, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> > (a waste of time IMO, since it should mean the same
> > thing).
>
> Are you 100% sure whether all Debian Developers agree on that? If so,
> I'll shut up.

Even if we end up with a different definition (which is unlikely as the
DFSG are simple and can be applied to documentation as well), I fail to
see how that definition could consider as free a document with invariant
sections, or a document which cannot be copied to an encrypted
filesystem.

> You can't know whether it's currently acceptable. About 1000 people have
> agreed upon the DFSG, since they agreed that software, not
> documentation, should be free. Although I can't come up with an example,
> I don't think it's impossible that there are some Debian developers out
> there who earn their living by providing non-free documentation for the
> free software they write.

There is the non-free archive for non-free documentation. Without
arguing whether this is desirable or not (and I believe it is not), this
is non-free, full stop. We still distribute those documentations in the
non-free archive, so why should we try by any means to get them included
into main and say they are free while they are not ?

> In fact, if the debian-legal group were to decide all by itself that
> software and documentation are essentially the same thing, I'm afraid a
> fork would be much more likely.

It is not the same thing. The question is whether the definition of
freedom should be the same for both.