Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:40:56 -0700
Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:
> I don't think that this is even necessary.  Suppose, for example, we
> chose to solve the documentation problem by creating a new archive
> section for documentation.  Documentation that meets the DFSG would
> preferably still be included in main; only non-DFSG-compliant
> documentation would have to go in the new section.
>
> The requirements for packages to go in the documentation section would
> probably be something like: must be Arch: all, must not have any files
> with the executable bit set, and must be freely distributable.  The
> advantage to doing this over simply placing non-free documentation in
> the non-free archive section is that it could be considered "part of
> Debian", even if not included in main, and would be safe for CD vendors
> to distribute (which is not necessarily true for packages in non-free).

(I would also add to this the obvious "and must be approved by an
ftpmaster" :) That guideline is too broad, all sorts of non-Free crap
could get in under it.)

And most certainly isn't necessarily true for non-Free documentation.
Even the GFDL has been questioned on this point.

I would prefer the "create a new documentation tree" solution over
"include non-Free documentation in main", but chances are CD vendors
will need to treat it like they treat non-Free.