Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

"Brian T. Sniffen" <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> It certainly does: if there is no persistent form, it isn't the source.

But an xcf is not some weird thing which is not normally persistent.
It is easily and trivially persistent.

> Otherwise, the elisp code which is generated (and used, but usually never
> seen) by programmers writing C in Emacs would have to be distributed as
> part of the "build scripts" -- I don't have to distribute C-mode, the
> current region stack, or ephemeral keyboard macros with my C programs,
> right?  I'm not entirely convinced it *always* applies, but in general it
> seems that persistent storage is a good rule of thumb for identifying
> source.  If I didn't save it to work on later, it isn't source, but a
> single act of creation.

The more worrisome case, alas, is the person who *does* keep the .xcf,
but won't distribute it.

Or, for example, doesn't distribute whatever source is behind the
audio patches distributed.  And so forth.