Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net> writes:

>> Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net> writes:
>> > There are a number of icons and images in
>> > products whose original creator preferred to edit in photoshop, with crazy
>> > psd files that contain layering, gamma, and other useful information.  I
>> > made further modifications to the resulting GIF file.  My preferred form
>> > is gif, hers is psd.  I don't even have the psd anymore.
>
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> The .psd is the source.  Some people prefer to hack on binary code
>> too, but this is really the same case as that one, except that more
>> people hack .gif than binary code.
>
> So I cannot release the GIF freely, given that the PSD no longer exists?

I think the real answer here is "it depends."  Does the copyright
holder mind?  Do you actually have the PSD?  Did you just
intentionally delete it so as to avoid having to release it?  This is
why we have courts and not judge-o-matics, as well as why there is
debian-legal, and not a Free Software Definition Algorithm.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/