Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 10:55:22PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Well.  There are several categories of "GNU People".  If you mean
> contributors to FSF-copyrighted projects, then these are the views I've
> seen:
>
> 1. The FDL is repugnantly non-free.  We tried to convince RMS, who runs
> the FSF as his personal fiefdom, and he wouldn't listen.  What can
> we do now?  (There are a fair number of us in this category.)

Put up a webpage that will serve as a petition.

> 2. I don't care about documentation licensing.
>
> 3. I don't care about documentation at all.
>
> 4. I don't care about "freedom" of software or documentation, as
> long as I can use it.  (This is a surprising collection of people, who
> simply use GCC or Autoconf, for example, and want to "help out", but would
> probably do the same for Microsoft Windows if they could.  Linus
> Torvalds would belong in this category...)

I think the "hearts and minds" of the above people are what RMS is
trying to win over with the GNU FDL.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that