Re: Packages with non-original copyrighted sounds

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 05:21 AM, Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
That make me suspect that the sounds are under a different license or,
at least, requires a different copyright citation or author acknowlegde
than the game itself when used individually.

Probably.

- xboing:

Years ago i recognized a sound that was ripped from the movie Aliens,
when a soldier (don't remember name) says "Game over man!". I've never
gave importance to this (until now ;-)

This one could probably fall under fair use.

- License is sufficiently permissive to be clearly compatible with
  Debian guidelines.

Better yet, since its just short sound clips, make it all public domain.

It is very likely that the same occurs with icons, images and other
artwork.

A lot of the icons in, e.g., GNOME are Tigert's original works.