Re: GDB manual

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 07:19:33PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It addresses the issue that was raised here before.
> Someone said that the GDB manual had marked a section invariant
> which was not secondary.

As indeed it had.  "A Sample GDB Session" (among others) was marked
Invariant.  The issue was raised here in december 2001.  Thomas Bushnell
then brought it to your attention:

    I asked RMS about the GDB manual.  It has two invariant sections, one
  of which is a "where to obtain GDB" section; the other is an
  introductory tutorial to using GDB.  I asked RMS why the latter of
  these needed to be invariant.  He replied that it shouldn't be
  invariant and he'll ask the relevant maintainer to fix it.
  (15 Dec 2001, Thomas Bushnell,
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200112/msg00394.html)

A few weeks later it was fixed:

  RMS reports that a new upstream GDB release has been made (5.1.0.1)
  which fixes the copyright problem on the GDB manuals.  I've filed an
  RC bug against the gdb package urging an upgrade.
  (14 Jan 2002, Thomas Bushnell,
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200201/msg00227.html)

(I'm skipping over the resolution of the "Stabs Types" and "Stabs Sections"
Invariant sections in the gdbint manual, which were fixed in the same
time frame.)

I'm surprised that you have forgotten.

Richard Braakman