Removal of non-free (was Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long))

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:53:25PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I hope Debian won't adopt your views, but if it does, it won't be the
> first disagreement between Debian and the FSF.  Debian wrote its own
> definition of free software which is different from ours.  We also
> disagree about Debian's practice of distributing and recommending
> non-free software.

	Perhaps it would be nice to make a concession to Free Software.
I remember a time when it was argued that there was no free web browser,
and that we should keep non-free.  But this piece of important software
has a free implementation.

	Is it an appropriate time to reconsider its mention in Section 4
of our Social Contract?

Simon

P.S.  I for one maintain a package of non-free documentation.  I have,
      however, been hoping to write a replacement for it, so I will not
      pine for its loss.