Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software? (Was: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:

> People that pass by the house do not know whether the blinds
> were the architect's design or not. They might remember that
> the house was designed by him, and then conclude that he was
> very stupid for putting those ugly blinds on the house. And
> that thus harms his reputation.
>
> It's extremely silly but that's the argument. Dutch lawyers may
> want to look it up: Gerechtshof 's Hertogenbosch 24 feb 1993,
> AMI 1994, 116. The court noted that demolishing the house would
> not violate the architect's moral rights. This has been used
> in some cases to force architects to accept certain changes.

This is exactly why the concept of unrenouncable authors' "moral
rights" offends me.

If the architect wants the right to review any proposed changes, then
that should be part of the contract of sale, and he will get a little
less money, because he's imposing a restriction of such a sort.

I believe that there *have* been cases where the owner of a work of
art was told that outright destruction of the work would also violate
the author's supposed moral rights.