Re: LPPL and non-discrimination

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:34:26PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>:
>
> >   "Substantial modifications are permitted, and may be distributed, at
> >   which point the modifier must either pay to ABC Software Inc the sum
> >   of USD 1,000 for each occurrence of distribution by the modifier, or
> >   grant to ABC Software Inc a permanent, non-exclusive, paid-up,
>                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> >   royalty-free, irrevocable license to incorporate the modified work or
> >   any portion thereof into its own proprietary software."
> >
> > I feel sure that such a clause would immediately start alarm bells
> > ringing in almost any Debian developer's head; why they do not so when
> > other licenses confiscate things of value from modifers of "free"
> > software is a mystery to me.
>
> It's a non-exclusive licence, so nothing is being confiscated.
> Obviously the modifier is losing the possibility of granting someone
> else an exclusive licence, but that's the case with the GPL, too.

You're overlooking my point.  The point is not that the license is
non-exclusive.  The point is that it is granted at all.  That's
a "consideration".  Who else is guaranteed by the license to receive
such consideration?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle