Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Scripsit Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 05:48:23PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > (Opposite in some other parts of the world where one can become
> > rich simply by being too stupid to imagine that coffee might be hot).

>   1. The coffee in question was *much* hotter than coffee is normally served.

Coffee is made by pouring *boiling water* through a medium of ground
roasted coffee beans. Yes, boiling water causes burns.

>   2. The lady in question didn't deliberately spill coffee over herself
>      because she thought it wouldn't be hot.

No non-stupid person will hold a flimsy styrofoam cup between one's
*knees* while attempting to manipulate a tight-fitting lid, unless
they think that the liquid inside is not hot.

>   3. If the coffee had been at normal temperature,

The normal temperature of boiling water is 100 °C. See (1).

>   4. The corporation that served the coffee was aware that the temperature
>      was a problem,

What the corporation thinks does not excuse being stupid. See (2).

>   5. All she initially asked for was enough money to pay for the medical
>      bills.

I'll withhold my opinion about a country where having accidents
entails "medical bills" that one needs to extract from the innocent
provider of some agent that happened to be involved in the accident.

>      The jury awarded punitive damages because they considered
>      the corporation to be willfully putting its customers at risk.

Yet none of the "debunkers" offer any coherent explanation of why on
earth McDonalds would have the *will* to do so. It doesn't scan. But
then again I'm not buying into the common theory that McDonalds
*willfully* makes the "food" they sell taste like cardboard.

> The Association of Trial Lawyers of America has a page about the case:

Aren't they the ones who get rich by getting half of the spoils?
Naturally they'd conclude that nothing at all is wrong.

Henning Makholm                             "I've been staying out of family
                                   conversations. Do I get credit for that?"