Re: Knoppix and GPL

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 07:40:58PM -0500, Darryl Palmer wrote:
> c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
> distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only
> for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Subsection b above.)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Now maybe my interpretation is bad but it states that you only have to
> do one of the following 3 clauses.  Clause C does not require that the
> source be offered for 3 years and since Knoppix is a noncommercial
> distribution and the offer to distribute it was provided with the CD by
> listing a valid Internet location to download it, how exactly is it in
> violation of the GPL?  Maybe it is a general misinterpretation that the
> source has to be available for 3 years, or your are referring to another
> version of the GPL (This one is GPL license available from
> http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php).

Knoppix has (presumably) not received written offers in accord with 3B for
every piece of GPL software they distribute, so 3C is irrelevant.  Pointing
to the place you downloaded the software is not enough to satisfy the GPL.

--
Glenn Maynard