Re: Proposed statement wrt GNU FDL

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:04:31AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> To roast a hoary chestnut, I've not yet seen a good argument why we'd want
> the RFCs to be relicensed as DFSG-free, apart from the "so it can go into
> Debian main".  Modifying an RFC and re-releasing it is not a good thing, but
> the DFSG says it is

I suppose this is opportunity to say that this begs the question.  :)

Being able to modify an RFC and re-release it is absolutely a good thing.
Why should I have to start from scratch when writing a new spec that
resembles an older one?  Why shouldn't I be able to reuse parts of other
RFCs?

The only possible problem is if someone releases a modified RFC and doesn't
mark it appropriately, but that's easily solved (require a name change).
I've yet to see a good argument why RFCs shouldn't be free.

--
Glenn Maynard