question about moral rights

A few people have brought up the topic of Moral Rights, with which I am
not very familiar.  They sound like some sort of meta-copyright which an
author cannot assign, and may not be able to grant permission over.

Does anyone have a pointer to some description of these rights that a
layman like myself might understand?  I'm particularly interested in how
they relate to the GFDL and why they would apply to documentation and not
to software.