Re: Debian Free Software License?

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> wrote:

> Joerg Wendland <joergland@debian.org>:
>
> > is there anything like a Debian Free Software License? A license that is
> > modelled after the DFSG? For me as free software developer, that would be a
> > nice to have. I couldn't find a discussion about something similar in the
> > list archives. Is this worth a discussion? Regarding the latest FDL
> > discussion, would it be feasible to create a Debian Free Documentation
> > License?
>
> http://www.debian.org/intro/free says that "different circumstances
> call for different licenses" and refers to the GPL, Artistic and
> BSD-style licences.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ch-common.en.html says
> that for documentation the "chosen license is usually GNU's GPL", but
> that the GFDL "is acceptable provided that there are no Cover Texts or
> Invariant sections",

I think we should shy away from it more since it allows derived works to
_add_ these, making them difficult to merge back in.  Someone picking
the BSD license has this permission in mind, but someone picking the
GFDL might think they are protected from this as they are with the GPL.

My two cents anyway.

Peter