Re: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

Sure, here is some text related to the Wiki debacle:

 http://www.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-October/000624.html
 http://www.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-June/002238.html

> That doesn't make the situations dissimilar, however, as there are
> people complaining about not being able to take some pieces of GPL'ed
> code from one program and put them into their Free Software programs
> without adhering to the GPL.

This is not a valid comparison, because in *this* case the
inconvenience and damage is happening to not just to some random free
software developer (which is already a shame, and something to be
avoided if at all possible) but in fact to a developer of software
under the GNU GPL.  In other words, J. Random Hacker, who is simply
following the recommendations of the FSF and putting his code and
documentation under the FSF-recommended licenses, the GPL and FDL, is
the one being hurt.

To my mind there is something very wrong with that scenario.

					--Barak.